STLe30
August 17, 2017, 08:51:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: stle30.com forums up!! YAY

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: e30 no start  (Read 4140 times)
polska

View Profile Email
« on: September 27, 2009, 10:06:50 PM »

Hoping someone can offer suggestions:
I have an '88 325is. I bought it a couple months ago. It started and ran when I got it, but just barely puttered past 20 mph.

Since then I've done a bit of work to it and it will crank clean, but won't start.
During that period, I replaced the battery, the o2 sensor, sparkplugs, sent the injectors away to be refurbished, replaced all vacuum hoses, coolant hoses, belts, filters and fluids, fuel lines and pressure regulator and some new gas.

The problems: fuel pump works, but only when hot-wired. However even when I hot-wire it, I can't get the car to start.
I cannot pull codes by depressing the accelerator, even though I know the throttle sensor has the proper voltage.
I get okay spark, my crank-sensor has good voltage.

To summarize:
1. cranks but won't start.
2. Fuel pump works but won't activate unless hot-wired.
3. Cannot pull codes.

Suggestions on this one?
OrganicMechanic

did it for the NooKie

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 05:56:38 PM »

crank angle sensor--

Beej

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 07:32:04 PM »

does the 325i have a fuel pump relay?  I think that's a common failure on the M50 engines...
polska

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »

So I changed my cranksensor this week, and even though the old one was frayed from the pulley (the routing of that sensor is a bad design), they both tested out with the same resistance. I left the new sensor in there anyway and still no start.

The car has a fuel pump relay, but even when I jump the fuel pump with a wire stuck into where the relay goes - and the pump is humming away, it doesn't start.

From this point, even suggesting a good mechanic in the area, any ideas?
OrganicMechanic

did it for the NooKie

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 08:34:41 AM »

try swapping the ECU and see if that effects.  I have a spare one here for you to try.  PM me your contact info and we can figure something out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: